The Association Montessori Internationale was founded in 1929 by Dr. Maria Montessori to maintain the integrity of her life’s work, and to ensure that it would be perpetuated after her death.
AMI’s activities include:
- Providing guidance for AMI training courses;
- Co-ordinating a Training of Trainers programme;
- Guiding the manufacturers recognised by AMI in the production of approved Montessori materials;
- Overseeing the publication of Dr. Montessori’s books;
- Organising congresses and study conferences;
- Affiliating Montessori Societies;
- Publishing the magazine ‘Communications’, the AMI Bulletin and a website.
The Head Office of the Association Montessori Internationale is located in Amsterdam, The Netherlands. The building, which houses the AMI Secretariat, was acquired for Dr. Maria Montessori and Mario Montessori before their return from India. They lived and worked there until their respective deaths in 1952 and 1982. It now preserves all traces of their work – documents, books, published and unpublished lectures. The building features Dr. Montessori’s study, a materials room and an archival library.
Please read more about Association Montessori Internationale on their website: http://ami-global.org